church services in the Corbin area were conducted by circuit riders
from the Wellington Circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
The actual organization of a church occurred in 1884. On September 8,
1884 two lots were purchased for $30, and in 1890 it was reported that
the church had been erected, free of debt and insured at a value of
$1125. By 1894 a parsonage had been built - value $500.
only one other M.E. Church, South remaining in southern Kansas on November
1, 1914, the Corbin congregation changed to the Methodist Episcopal
Church. A new building was erected on the site in 1918 and dedicated
May 11, 1919.
the late 1920's the Chikaskia M.E. Church combined with the Corbin church.
That building was dismantled in 1940 and the lumber used to rebuild
the Corbin parsonage. This house was sold in 1971 after Corbin and Caldwell
became a two-point charge.
1939 church union brought together nationwide the M.E. Church, the M.E.
Church South, and the Methodist Protestant Church and all became simply
The Methodist Church.
Brethren Church in Corbin dosed and was torn down in 1939. The bell
was given to the Methodists, and it is now mounted in the masonry name
sign in front of the church. In 1949 the Lone Star School building was
purchased and moved-in for a church annex. Major renovation of the church
was done in 1962.
ceremonies for the present educational unit were held November 1, 1964.
Most of the construction was done by local members volunteering their
time and labor. The building cost was $23,000. Consecration services
were held April 24, 1966 with Area Bishop W. McFerrin Stowe present.
The mortgage was burned during the Dedication Service on October 5,
1968 with the union nationwide of the Evangelical United Brethren Church
and The Methodist Church the local church name was changed to Corbin
United Methodist Church.
1976 a new sanctuary was built adjacent to the educational unit at a
cost of approximately $75,000. Consecration services were held November
28, 1976. The Dedication highlighted the Centennial Celebration October
by Olive Smith